Church of the Resurrection
Delivery Method: Design Build
Architect: Ellis Construction.
- The new building was built between the church constructed in 1912 and the rectory constructed in 1949 which sit at different elevations.
- Creating a complementary façade that ties the two existing and the new buildings together; due to the different time periods that the church and rectory were built they are very different architecturally.
- Creating a bright and airy facility enhancing the social opportunities that will take place in the building. Because the center is sitting between two buildings made it impossible to put in traditional windows thus designing an octagon shaped cupola met this need and desire. The cupola continues the same design scheme that is found throughout the church, further blending the old and new buildings.
When adding to the Church of the Resurrection in Wausau, a landmark building, there were many architectural design issues to consider. Such is the case in the family center addition to the church; the addition is over 6,800 square feet and includes a drive-under canopy for use during inclement weather.
Some of the design challenges for this project included: